Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Super easy swiss chard



This year marks the first time that I grew Swiss Chard, it really adds color to the garden. I've been told it's really easy to grow (easier than spinach) and one of those crops that are cold hardy. Everyone was right about this leafy beauty! I planted the Neon lights mix containing yellow, red, cream, pink and white which can be harvested in about 60 days, or if you're like me sooner! You just harvest the outer leaves so there's a continuous supply. So far it's held up really well but it's gonna get hotter than this, so we'll see how it fares.




I was a quick side dish to make just slice the stems up and throw them in with some butter and minced garlic. Give them a few minutes to cook and then toss in the chopped leaves and let cook a bit, season with salt and pepper and enjoy.  My kids, who are veggie lovers, said "it tastes kinda like spinach" they gave it two thumbs up and wanted me to make it for dinner tomorrow.  I'm trying a new recipe using Swiss Chard tonight, I'll let you know how it turns out!


No comments:

Post a Comment