Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dutch baby




Dutch Baby, German Pancake, Puff pancake..... whatever you call it this light as a feather pancake is sooo good you better make a double batch. This light and fluffy treat tastes great with a light dusting of powdered sugar and if you like you can top it with some great preserves, or even fresh cut fruit and don't forget a drizzle of maple syrup! With my family of five I always make a double batch so figure half a batch per adult.

Preheat oven to 425*F.

Whisk together:
   
     1/2 cup all-purpose flour
     1/4 cup sugar
     1/2 cup milk
     2 large eggs

I next put up to 3 tbsp butter in my 10 inch cast iron pan and put in oven til butter is melted. Then pour in batter and cook 12 to 15 minutes or til golden brown. The pancake will loose it's attractive puffiness so serve immediately.



When I make a double batch or more I find better results if I bake each batch in it's separate pan, otherwise it may be under cooked in the center.


No comments:

Post a Comment