Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Leafy goodness

I had harvested our third bowl of lettuce so far this year which feeds my family of five. In my garden I have quite alot of things growing but I would be equally happy if I only harvested lettuce all season long. There is something fantastic about eating the fresh stuff straight from the dirt at dinner time, or a crisp leaf in your sandwich at lunch. It's so refreshingly juicy and to top it off it's free of pesticides, herbicides and chemical fertilizers.



We put mushroom soil in the raised beds and mixed in some local clay soil. The stuff is great I watered half as much as the stuff growing in the clay soil. We planted Black Seeded Simpson, A Burpee Looseleaf Blend (Black Seeded Simpson, Red Salad Bowl, Royal Oak Leaf, Lolla Rossa and Salad Bowl), A Burpee All Season Butterhead Mix (Four Seasons, Arctic King, Bibb, Butter Crunch, Matchless and North Pole), Spinach and 12 plants popped up from a multi colored lettuce that the previous renters left behind. I personally love the seed packet mixes (except the mesclun salad mixes- only arugula seems to grow for me) you get more for your money      and the variety looks great in your bowl. The best thing about lettuce is you can harvest in about a month or less!

No comments:

Post a Comment